The old church garden on Marylebone High Street, London commemorates the site of the old parish church of St Mary on the River Tyburn, in the village of St Mary le Bourne, hence Marylebone. It was built 1400, rebuilt 1741, and demolished 1949.
On this site ‘Persons of notable repute in The History of Great Britain,’ are remembered.
Who are they?
Sir Francis Bacon (born 1561) English philosopher, statesman, scientist, jurist, orator, essayist and author.
In the mid 19th century some of the plays conventionally attributed to Shakespeare were believed to have been written by him. He was MARRIED here in 1606.
William Hogarth, painter, engraver, satirist PORTRAYED the church interior, 1735.
James Gibbs, architect and pupil of Wren, was BURIED here, 1754.
Richard Brinsley Sheridan, Irish playwright and poet, MARRIED here 1773; he is buried in Poets Corner, Westminster Abbey.
Charles Wesley, co-founder of the Methodist Movement, BURIED here, 1788.
Lord Byron, poet, BAPTISED here, 1788.
Lord Nelson, WORSHIPPED here and his daughter Horatia, BAPTISED here, 1803.
‘So we’ll go no more a-roving
So late into the night
Though the heart still be as loving
And the moon still be as bright.’
‘We’ll go no more a-roving’
by Lord Byron, and his Romantic ideals.
If the building has to go, write down its memories and remember them, so we can pass it all on … This is what comes of wandering, look left and look right, stop and stare…